How To Install Akismet Properly So That It Works?
August 2nd, 2014 | by Ravi Chahar |
There are many spammers in the field of blogging. Many spam bots are there which can harm your website by dropping their spam comments. Akismet is the solution for that.
Akismet is an amazing plugin used to block spam comments. For beginners, the main problem occurs in installing Akismet WordPress. A few days ago one of my readers has asked me how to install Akismet properly?
After the installation of this plugin, bloggers face problem in activation. Newbies ask how to activate Akismet in WordPress? All these questions arise regarding the usage of this plugin so that bloggers can enjoy its proper working.
How to activate Akismet in WordPress?
As I have mentioned above these type of question are asked frequently because for beginners it’s hard to activate Akismet. Beginners need to follow this guide for installing Akismet in their WordPress blog. Newbies get confused when they check Akismet’s status where it is required an API key. You must know that without this key this plugin can’t work properly.
Many bloggers face this problem because when they start their website they fill any alternate API key which may be given by their friend. But it may not work properly and bloggers face difficulty in activation. There are some steps by which you can get an API key and your plugin will work superfine.
1) First, simply search for the Akismet in add new plugin and you will see many results in the list where Akismet will be at the top. You have to install it and activate it.
2) After installation, you will see a message shown at the top of all the installed plugins asking to activate your Akismet account. You have to click the blue box showing the message.
3) When you click at the blue box asking for the activation of your Akismet account you will see that you will be asked to fill the API key manually if you already have any or to get a new one. You have to click at “get your API key”.
4) With the click, a new window will appear in front of you and you must know this is an official website of Akismet. You can directly get an API key by visiting this website if you want it again. After visiting the website you will see a message shown in a blue box written with white color asking to get your API key. Click at this box so that you can get your key.
5) Now it’s time to sign up for WordPress.com. Don’t get confused between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. One is self-hosted and one is fully-hosted. Here you have to sign up for WordPress.com with a new e-mail ID.
6) After the completion of signing up, you will be asked to choose your plan. You must know that Akismet is not free for any business use but free for personal use. So, you should use personal from three plans so that you can use it for free. After signing up for your plan you will get you API key.
Here you are at the last stage for installing Akismet WordPress
After getting this API key you can click on save your API key if you want to let the process finish smoothly but if you want to paste it manually then you can paste it in the place shown in the 3rd step.
If you remember there were two ways to fill an API key whether to get it or to fill it manually. You can copy this new API key for installing Akismet WordPress easily.
Now it’s up to you
The solution for the problem in installation and answer for the question asked by one of my readers as how to install Akismet properly is here. Now it’s up to you whether you want to use the spam blocking facility of Akismet or not. As I have mentioned about this plugin is trusted by millions of website owners.
It’s the king in its field to fight with spam comments. I have explained the activation but still if you have any doubt then you can ask me.