You must take care about the design of your WordPress blog for which you need to choose best theme. In the previous days of blogging most of bloggers use free theme and after some time they change the theme to give an attractive look to their blog.When You switch to WordPress then you will be needed to use any WordPress theme which may be free theme or paid. But in most of cases there is a possibility that you wish to change your theme. With WordPress you can have command over design and content of your blog individually. Installing a new theme brings many things to do with it.
Change Your WordPress Theme But Don’t Forget
You must know the things to do before changing your WordPress theme. There are many essential steps you must follow when you wish to change your WordPress theme. In this post you will learn what are the steps required when you think to do this change in your blog.
- Keep Some Notes :- When you have a theme installed at your WordPress blog then there are many changes you should do with it. You put some relevant code at the header of your theme or may be in the functions.php file. You add some extra codes in some files of the theme. And I don’t think you even remember all those code. Once you use any code then after some days you forget it. When you want to have any new WordPress theme to your blog then you must make some notes of all the changes you have made with your current theme so that you can put the same codes into your new theme.
- Backup Is Required :- You know no one is perfect and mistakes can made by anyone. While changing any theme you may never know what mistakes you are going to do so to be safe from it you must create the backup of your website. You should backup all the files of your current theme, plugins and database. You can do it using BackupBuddy or using your cPanel.
- Keep Safe Your Tracking :- You all use any code to put at the header of your theme for the analytics of your website by which you can have the total stats of your website by Google Analytics. If you don’t want to lose your tracking then you must save that code so that you can place it in your new WordPress theme.
- Have A Maintenance Mode :- When you change your WordPress theme your visitors will see a broken site and if you don’t want to look your site in this way then you must use Ultimate Maintenance Mode plugin so that when your visitors visit your website then they when see a maintenance mode with the message which will make them aware that you are doing some change with your website.
- Keep An Eye On Your RSS Feeds :- Most of bloggers use FeedBurner to create RSS feed for their website. You must remember only one important thing that you should direct your feed to Feedburner so that you don’t face any problem of having two RSS feeds. It is because in some themes like Genesis FeedBurner can be integrated from their settings.
- Sidebars Should Be Compatible :- When You decide to change your WordPress theme then you must take a look at the sidebars of your new theme. Sidebar widgets plays a great role in the design of a website and you must check that your new theme is widget ready. And if you have done any change in your current theme in sidebars then you should save it to place at new sidebar.php file. You must know that sidebars are the key feature of any theme because we place ads, product to sell mostly in the sidebar widgets. It’s necessary to check the compatibility of these amazing design in your new theme.
- Don’t Forget About Browser’s Choice :- You all are well aware about the availability of many browsers now a days. It’s one of the main step you must follow before changing your theme. There are many theme which don’t look good in some particular browser. Specially Internet Explorer. You must check the appearance of your website when you change the theme in all the browsers and if you find that theme inappropriate in any browser then you shouldn’t choose it. You must check it in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and else.
- Compare Your Site Loading Time :- When you change your WordPress theme you must compare the website loading time of your old theme to your new theme. After the installation of new theme you must check the page loading time and speed of the website by visiting GTmetrix.com. Make sure that size of your homepage must be less. Suppose you have installed your new theme and found that size of your website homepage is much higher than your previous theme then it would not be good idea to choose that theme. Always try to find a theme which can enhance you better speed with amazing loading time so that you can have the quality of speed.
- Bounce Rate Is Also The main Factor :- You have read many things to do before changing your WordPress theme but have you even thought that when you change the theme bounce rate can also be affected? It’s necessary to check it after installing your new WordPress theme that your bounce rate is still the same or lower. If it has increased then you must try to lower it by adding related posts widgets, popular posts widgets and more.
- Don’t Be In Hurry :- Baby steps are required when you change your WordPress theme. New things are always challenging for which you should go step by step. While changing our theme you must check all the necessary things required and don’t be in hurry because there are more chances of making mistakes in this processes. Listen to your readers if they give any suggestions. It’s always beneficial for you to design your website according to your visitors view.
Have You Checked All The Required Fields When You Change Your Theme?
In this post all the main fields which should be checked before changing any theme are mentioned. When you wish to change your WordPress theme you must take care of all the necessary things so that you don’t face any problem in the future. There are many things to do before changing your WordPress theme which you must know and with this idea I have written this post. Now t’s up to you. Have you made your notes? Is your new theme better than previous one? Is bounce rate same or higher?